Re: logwatch customization question

On 04/09/2017 09:42 AM, Richard wrote:
Date: Sunday, April 09, 2017 08:36:17 -0400
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Logwatch is installed, and I am assuming by how empty /etc/logwatch
is that it is running from defaults, which I find in
/usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services

I want to customize ONE service.  dovecot.

Do I copy /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/dovecot.conf

/etc/logwatch/conf/services

and edit it there,

or do I have to copy ALL default.conf/services/* there and modify
/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf to look there?

The README is rather not helpful on this.

How do I modify ONE service (and not just make the changes in
default.conf that I have seen in a couple howtos.

I think that the HOWTO, referenced in the logwatch man page, has a
fairly complete explanation of approaches to customization.

centos-6/logwatch-7.3.6

    MORE INFORMATION
      The directory /usr/share/doc/logwatch-* contains several
      files with additional documentation:
        HOWTO-Customize-LogWatch
          Documents the directory structure of Logwatch
          configuration and executable files,  and describes how
          to customize Logwatch by overriding these default files.

thanks.  I think I got it from the sendmail example.

"   For example, if file /etc/logwatch/conf/services/sendmail.conf has the
   single entry:
        $sendmail_unknownusersthreshold = 5
   then the threshold for unknown users is set to five instead of the
   default of one.  All other parameters are not modified.  "

thus:

cat > /etc/logwatch/conf/services/dovecot.conf
# Override the default Detail level. This will only affect dovecot's report.
$dovecot_detail = 10

I will see how it goes after tonight!