Re: From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

On 08/03/17 14:54, Jonathan Billings wrote:

If you'd like a really simple solution that avoids NetworkManager, I
suggest using systemd-networkd (both systemd-networkd and
systemd-resolved packages required).  I've used it to set up a bridge
on my workstattion for use with libvirtd/kvm, and it is just as simple
a text file but future compatible.  Heck, it probably even works on
other distros that use systemd.

Here's a super-simple static configuration:

# cat /etc/systemd/network/10-static-eno1.network
[Match]
name=eno1

[Network]
Address=192.168.1.2
Gateway=192.168.1.1
DNS=192.168.1.1

You need to make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink
/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf if you want the systemd-resolved
service to manage it.  Just disable NetworkManager and network
services and enable the systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved
services.

Honestly, I've found systemd-networkd very useful for the more complex
networking on my workstation (bridged VMs to external network) but its
also useful for my tiny VMs that don't need extra daemons running.

That's interesting, I'll snapshot and perhaps take that tangent on the next build and see how it goes.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey
+44 (0) 7584 634 135