Re: spec file frustration (rant)

On 12/13/2016 03:57 PM, Phil Wyett wrote:
On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 15:39 -0800, Alice Wonder wrote:
On 12/13/2016 03:34 PM, Phil Wyett wrote:
On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 14:16 -0800, Alice Wonder wrote:
I'm getting spec files from centos git which is really convenient when
the related source is easy to find. But some things - e.g. from a spec file

# How to create the source tarball:
#
# git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/python-rhsm.git/
# cd client/python-rhsm
# tito build --tag python-rhsm-$VERSION-$RELEASE --tgz

Never used tito before, so I install it and try, and rather than giving
me the source package I need - it gives me a python traceback
complaining that I haven't configured some things properly.

Seems a lot of the software distribution world is getting overly complex
with an expectation that the end user who needs to exercise his FLOSS
rights has to use git or nodejs or for php composer or whatever just to
get what use to be available with no more complexity than choosing
tar.gz or tar.bz2 or .zip if the dev was Windows.

Whatever happened to KISS and why can't source tarballs be distributed
as source tarballs?

Back when I was a Fedora packager - the packaging guidelines would
reject a package of the Source tarball wasn't a URL and if the timestamp
on the tarball in the src.rpm didn't match upstream even if the checksum
was identical.

Guess those days are gone.

/rant

Hi,

Not seen this one before, but don't play with much python. The SPEC
really should just refer too a URL too a compressed archive as the
packages home site supplies them.

https://github.com/candlepin/python-rhsm/releases

Regards

Phil

I went to the github and it doesn't have a packaged release that matches
the version. I managed to find it in the build system logs, but its just
weird.

If I recall, formerly for a tarball to be different than what was on
upstream, it had to have a legal reason (e.g. patents) and a script in
the sources that could turn upstream tarball into the version used.

Hi,

Out of interest, which version do you refer to?

Regards

Phil

1.17.9 is the version in CentOS 7.3 and what I needed (and found on a build server)