Re: Kernel Panic at Boot

John R Pierce wrote:
On 12/7/2016 12:09 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd P43-ES3G

thtas a rather old motherboard, like circa 2008? my longtime experiences with consumer desktop grade hardware suggest that at 5 years, 50% of them go flaky. that one is about 8 years old now.

I know its old. I have quite a few (5) PCI video capture cards in there for MythTV and very few modern motherboards have PCI interfaces these days. Moving to something more recent would also mean scrapping those cards.

That said, I doubt that the age of the motherboard is related to the kernel panic after I stupidly de-installed the NVidia driver. It would be a sad double fault that the previously unused (but old) replacement mother board suffered a failure at the same time as I de-installed the NVidia driver. That would be very bad luck.

I have subsequently found that the 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64 kernel still boots fine on there so I very much doubt I'm on the trail of a hardware fault.

Would I be safe just to reinstall the 2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64 kernel?

Thanks

Ken