Re: New laptop recomendation

On 11/23/2016 2:42 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:

Many modern Intel systems come configured for an Intel "RAID" mode. While configured for that mode, the SATA controller changes its PCI ID so that the standard Windows drivers don't bind to it, allowing the Intel RAID drivers to bind to it instead. There are no Linux drivers that bind to the "RAID" mode PCI ID, though if you switch the controller to "standard" mode, Linux drivers will work normally.

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/44694.html?thread=1749398

I thought the mdraid software raid drivers supported the intel RST (formerly Matrix) fake raid ? the major difference is, with RST/Matrix, the whole disk has to be mirrored then partitioned, while mdraid normally does mirroring on a per partition basis. the other difference is the raid metadata block, but I thought mdraid understood how to interpret the intel RST/Matrix stuff ?