Re: FireFox and Plugins

On 11/04/2016 05:09 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 10:10:20AM +0000, James Pearson wrote:

It shows up when I run Firefox - in both about:plugins and about:addons ->
Plugins

If you use a central Mozilla autoconfig file setup - see, for example:

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Enterprise_deployment#Configuration>

then you can use the following line to disable this plug-in:

 lockPref("plugin.state.librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin", 0);

(and similar lines to disable any other plug-in)

James Pearson

With all the talk about deleting a packaged file or rebuilding a base
package, I'm surprised no one has noticed this solution.  The above is
most likely the best solution. Easy to deploy through CM, won't be
overwritten with package updates, and is the best for "Enterprise"
customers (who deploy to hundreds or thousands of computers).

I'm already using something similar to change the default home page.

Thank you, that looks like what I originally was seeking - a way to blacklist the plugin.

It's still a bit puzzling that there isn't a checkbox next to plugins in the Preferences pane.

I gather FireFox is planning to get rid of plugin support altogether so soon it may not be an issue.