Re: Airprint to old printer using Centos server

On 31/10/2016 10:43, Gary Stainburn wrote:
Hi folks,

I've found a number of articles on setting up a Linux / CUPS / Avahi server to
allow airprinting, but they all seem to be quite old.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have a link for a more recent article, hopefully specifically
for Centos7.
I've not seen specific instructions for CentOS 7, but when I last did this the actual AirPrint script was simple enough that I doubt you'd have trouble. Main thing is making use that you can print directly from your CentOS machine.

2) I'm on a structured, VLAN network.  Will I have to put a WIFI card into my
Centos server to give it a presence on the WIFI before this will work?
Depends how the network is set up. I had my AirPrint server on a different VLAN to the wifi, and you need the following for that to work: An Avahi bridge so the announcements from AirPrint are also announced on the WiFi
Firewall rules to allow the CUPS port through from the WiFi to your server

I found this was pretty easy to configure, but I was able to completely control the network (putting VMs on any VLAN; opening firewalls etc.). It might be easier to use wifi in your setup.