Re: NFS help

On 10/24/16 03:52, Larry Martell wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:42 AM,  <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Larry Martell wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM,  <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Larry Martell wrote:
We have 1 system ruining Centos7 that is the NFS server. There are 50
external machines that FTP files to this server fairly continuously.

We have another system running Centos6 that mounts the partition the
files are FTP-ed to using NFS.
<snip>
What filesystem?
<snip>
cat /etc/fstab on the systems, and see what they are. If either is xfs,
and assuming that the systems are on UPSes, then the fstab which controls
drive mounting on a system should have, instead of "defaults",
nobarrier,inode64.

The server is xfs (the client is nfs). The server does have inode64
specified, but not nobarrier.

Note that the inode64 is relevant if the filesystem is > 2TB.

The file system is 51TB.

The reason I say this is that we we started rolling out CentOS 7, we tried
to put one of our user's home directory on one, and it was a disaster.
100% repeatedly, untarring a 100M tarfile onto an nfs-mounted drive took
seven minutes, where before, it had taken 30 seconds. Timed. It took us
months to discover that NFS 4 tries to make transactions atomic, which is
fine if you're worrying about losing power or connectivity. If you're on a
UPS, and hardwired, adding the nobarrier immediately brought it down to 40
seconds or so.

We are not seeing a performance issue - do you think nobarrier would
help with our lock up issue? I wanted to try it but my client did not
want me to make any changes until we got the bad disk replaced.
Unfortunately that will not happen until Wednesday.

Absolutely add nobarrier, and see what happens.

	mark