Re: xdgurl

Mark LaPierre wrote:
Has anyone figured out how to make Firefox 45.4.0 on CentOS 6 use xdgurl
to handle xdg:// URLs?

Google is full of suggestions that don't work.  When I select a an
xdg:// link I don't get a dialog asking me what to do like Google says I
will.  Instead I get a message that says Firefox doesn't have a clue how
to handle this URL.  Do you want to try again?

I tried about:config

I added:

network.protocol-handler.external.xdg  user set  string /usr/bin/zdgurl

I don't think those types of prefs are used any more ?

A lot of the information out there on adding protocol handlers to Firefox on Linux is out of date or wrong ...

A couple of ways that work for me (on CentOS 6, using Gnome) with Firefox 45:

1. Create the file $HOME/.local/share/applications/xdg containing

[Desktop Entry]
Name=xdg
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/xdgurl %U
Terminal=false
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/xdg;
NoDisplay=true

Then run:

desktop-file-install $HOME/.local/share/applications/xdgdesktop \
 --rebuild-mime-info-cache --dir=$HOME/.local/share/applications

Start firefox and browse to a xdg:// URL - it still prompts for the application use the first time - but after that, it should work OK

Note: I haven't actually done this for an 'xdg' protocol handler - but it works for launching other apps using other custom protocol handlers

2. Set up a protocol handler in a central autoconfig 'mozilla.cfg' file using Javascript - this is the method I use to automatically add a protocol handler for all users (and doesn't require any user intervention) - let me if you want more details about this method

James Pearson