Re: LSI SATA MegaRaid & Centos 7 build 1511

On 8/17/2016 2:28 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
I have been working as a NEC partner and reseller and know very well what NEC implements in their Express 5800 server line.

They do not ship anything from LSI which is fake RAID. The onboard SATA controllers are Intel chip technology and can work with Windows drivers in fake RAID mode. Not with Linux.

On the other hand when real RAID is wanted NEC sells LSI PCI controllers. In the model R120b-2 it had been the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9264-8i. That controller has a BIOS where you define all the common parameters which apply to a true RAID controller.

Fawny's screen shot of the BIOS showed "LSI MegaRAID Software RAID BIOS' finding "LSI SATA RAID" on PCI device 00:1F, and his lspci output identifies 00:1F as the intel ICH SATA in fake-raid mode, and no LSI devices at all. This is what I based my statements on.