Re: CentOS 7 kickstart question

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

Dear Experts,

Could somebody point to kicstart HOWTO specific for CentOS 7?

On CentOS 7 I somehow am always given human intervention questions about drive which defeats unattended ks install.

At least one snag I hit consistently with CentOS 7 kickstart is: it drops me into human decision as far as wiping hard drive and creating custom (or default probably as well) partitioning scheme is concerned. Most likely it is me who needs to learn new trick (like "tricking smart macintosh into actually doing what you want done") as it looks like safety defeats my unattended kickstart installation (like on Windows: "Do you really - really want to do this?").

It would have been helpful to see the disk-specific part of your kickstart file, but here's a snippet that's worked for me:

clearpart --all --initlabel
zerombr
bootloader --location=mbr
part ...
part ...

I've also noticed that LVM meta information will stick around during a re-installation. So if you're reusing the names of volumes groups, you might encounter an error. I do something like this in a %pre section:

%pre --interpreter=/usr/bin/bash
# DANGER: will remove all volume groups
for VG in $(vgs -o vg_name --noheadings); do
  vgremove -f "$VG"
done
%end

--