Re: Mounting NFS subdirectories individually or just the parent?

On 07/28/2016 12:21 AM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016, Frank Thommen wrote:

Hello,

does it in any respect (throughput/performance, cpu load, I/O load,
resilience, ...) matter, if one mounts subdirectories of an NFS (v3)
export into separate directories or if one just mounts the parent
directory?

I.e. like this:

 server: /export/base/a -> /mnt/a
 server: /export/base/b -> /mnt/b
 server: /export/base/c -> /mnt/c
 server: /export/base/d -> /mnt/d
 server: /export/base/e -> /mnt/e

or simply like this:

 server:/export/base   -> /mnt

Performance wise, any bottleneck will almost certainly be tied to the
disks on the back end, not the nfs process itself.

There are a couple good reasons for splitting up the mounts:

1. They can have different export restrictions (e.g., for different
   client hosts, ro vs. rw permissions, user squashing).

I'm not sure you can define individual restrictions for subdirectories of exported filesystems? In our case export permissions are set for "server:/export/base".

2. /base/[a-e] live on different RAID arrays and might benefit from
   different management cycles; that'd also be a case where multiple
   exports might be a good idea. That said, I've never managed an
   exported filesystem consisting of different arrays; we've always
   exported at the RAID level or below.

Agreed, but this is not the case in our situation.

frank