Re: how to use python 2.7 by default instead python 2.6 on centos 6.8

centos 6.8 comes with python 2.6. But I want to use python 2.7 to
build gstreamer sdk. I have built python 2.7 and installed it into my
custom directory. How to set centos to use python 2.7 by default
instead of python 2.6?

You could have used python virtualenv.

I'm not a python dev and only have vague memories and some short notes on the subject. FYI I have all my python 2.7 packages installed from PUIAS_6_computational repo which had a better selection of python packages at the time:

python27-2.7.8
python27-virtualenv-1.10.1

When you have python27-virtualenv package you can create and activate a virtual environment with the following commands:

$ mkdir ~/opt/python27
$ virtualenv-2.7 ~/opt/python27
$ . ~/opt/python27/bin/activate

(python27) prefix will be added to the shell prompt and all subsequent python calls will use version from the virtual environment.

(python27) $ python --version
Python 2.7.8

(python27) $ deactivate

HTH