Re: [CENTOS ]IPTABLES - How Secure & Best Practice

On 30/06/16 23:19, Mike wrote:
Ned,

Thank you very much for the response.
Great example following through on the premise.
It sounds like I need to have a better understanding of the traffic
patterns on my network to know the optimal order for iptables
filtering rules.

Try running:

iptables -nv -L

which will show you in the left hand column a counter for the number of packets that has matched each rule. That will give you an exact breakdown of how often your rules are being hit.

My brief example -

Premise:  I want to limit outsiders from interfering with LAN client machines.
So, I have the following rules regarding forwarding traffic:

-A FORWARD -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ACK,FIN FIN -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ACK,PSH PSH -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ACK,URG URG -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags FIN,RST FIN,RST -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,FIN SYN,FIN -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN,RST -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL ALL -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL NONE -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL FIN,PSH,URG -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL SYN,FIN,PSH,URG -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL SYN,RST,ACK,FIN,URG -j DROP
-A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i LAN-NIC -s 10.100.100.0/24 -o INET-NIC -m state --state
NEW -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i INET-NIC -o LAN-NIC -d 10.100.100.0/24 -m state --state
NEW -j ACCEPT

The first thing I would do is move your ESTABLISHED,RELATED rule to the top of the chain. Once you've accepted the first packet you may as well accept the rest of the stream as quickly and efficiently as possible as you've established the connection is not malicious.

What is the default policy for the FORWARD table? Assuming it is accept then the last two accept rules can be removed.

But I don't know if this is interfering with, or delaying DNS requests
between LAN clients and the DHCP server.

The FORWARD chain only processes packets being router through the machine, so in your case that would be packets from the lan destined for the wan, or packets from the wan destined to the lan. All internal lan traffic such as dns requests from clients to the dchp server are internal and not subject to the FORWARD chain. Of course the dhcp server probably forwards those dns requests to a dns server outside of the lan so those requests will pass through the FORWARD chain at that point.

Assuming your hardware is not crippled or the cpu constantly overloaded, it's not going to have any problems routing traffic through your rule set. But if you want to ensure particular traffic is processed quickly and bypasses all other rules, place a rule matching it near the top to accept that traffic. For example, if you trust all traffic coming from inside your network that is destined for the outside and want to pass that traffic without testing for all those tcp flags (and any other rules), you could do something like:

-A Forward -p all -i LAN-NIC -o INET-NIC -j ACCEPT