Re: enlarging partition and its filesystem

On 19/05/16 09:54, Fred Smith wrote:

>I've used gparted live cd a number of times, but don't think I knew that it handled lvm2 also.

Well, what you are doing with gparted has nothing to do with LVM; just the drive (really, the image file) itself - similar to buying a bigger hdd and then cloning from old (smaller) to new (bigger). Then you have to boot into the system and extend the volume group, logical volume, and ultimately the filesystem.

>Since it does, if I resize the lvm, wouldn't the contained filesystem be automatically resized too? (as it has been when I've resized physical partitions containing NTFS and EXT2/3/4 filesystems.)

With lvm, lvextend can automatically resize the the underlying ext2/3/4 filesystem for you if you add the extra *-r* option. If you omit it, then you'll need to run *resize2fs* as detailed by Ian. As for NTFS, yes, once you use finish off with gparted, then the filesystem will have been automatically resized to fill the entire partition (haven't worked on partitioning in windows for a while so don't quote me).

ak.

*Note* Now that I'm having a second look at Ian's instructions, the pvcreate command is not required as you are not adding a second drive, just making the original one bigger.