Re: heads up: /boot space on kernel upgrade

On 02/13/2016 05:57 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Devin Reade wrote:

I have a CentOS 6 machine that was initially installed as CentOS 6.4
in May of 2013.  It's /boot filesystem is 200M which, IIRC, was the
default /boot size at the time.

As a matter of interest, is there any advantage today
in having a /boot partition?
I thought it went back to the days when the boot-loader
had to be near the beginning of the disk?

With GRUB legacy, there are some limitations on /boot.  It cannot
be encrypted, cannot reside on some types of software RAID,
cannot be in an LVM logical volume, and must be in an ext2/3/4 filesystem. If your root filesystem violates any of that, then
you need a separate /boot partition.  GRUB 2 removes most of
those restrictions.

                Do NOT delete it.