Re: Latest version of kate editor

On 02/02/2016 07:19 PM, Yamaban wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 18:02, H wrote:
On 02/02/2016 03:50 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
 On 02/02/2016 09:28 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>  CentOS is not a bleeding-edge distribution that constantly keeps
> packages up to date with the upstream projects. If you want that, try
>  another distribution like Fedora.
 <rant>
GNOME can get a rebase to a newer version, but KDE can't..... this from a former KDE user who would love to go back to KDE but refuses to deal with
 the issues older versions have.

 This is, of course, an upstream issue and not a CentOS one, and I know
that.... so I now use GNOME, even though it would be nice to see parity in
 the allowing of a rebase of KDE like the one for GNOME.
 </rant>

>  There is a 3rd-party repository that might have an upgraded KDE:
> http: //www.trinitydesktop.org/about.php

Trinity Desktop (TDE), is a fork of KDE 3.x, and not updated from that. So
 in ways it is older, yet newer.

What do people use as a programming editor on CentOS 6? My first impression of kate was favorable, not only did it support the usual programming and scripting languages but also markdown which I have recently discovered...

Well, KDE has its own trouble, even upstream, and for RedHat / Fedora packagers KDE seems a clear second or third choice to work on.

The Gnome upgrade from Centos 7.1 to 7.2 was "urgs" and has driven me to
switch to XFCE even @work, where I had to ask the sys-admins for
allowance beforehand.

vim / gvim / jedit

Vim and its graphical frontend gvim are in use for nearly all my tasks as
text-editors. A special place in my heart has (g)vimdiff which is a great
help im my daily work (shell-scripts, php, css, html, js, and markdown
make most the volume)

The availability of a very powerfull text editor that can be worked with in a terminal the same whether local or remote (via ssh) gives a concistency that other editors lack, or, in the case of emacs, are not my taste at all.

Jedit is java based, and for me in use where projects span bejond a single
Operating System (Linux, Solaris, Windows and MacOS mostly).

 - Yamaban