Re: In A UEFI World, "rm -rf /" Can Brick Your System

On 2/1/2016 2:07 PM, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
John R Pierce wrote:
>wait.   would deleting the inode/sys/(whatever)  actually modify UEFI
>memory?    sure, writing to those inodes could do all sorts of harm, but
>deleting the inodes in the /sys filesystem, I'm not so sure this isn't a
>tempest in a teapot so to speak.
It's going to get /boot. And under there, it'll get /boot/EFI.

so it will delete inodes there... does that damage the EFI hardware? I would think you'd have to open files and write data to actually modify the EFI stuff.

my only C7 systems right now are VMs which don't have uefi, so I can't look and see what all this stuff actually is.