pmount

On 01/27/2016 08:11 AM, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
my manager has me using
pmount/pumount to mount the hard drives I'm putting in the eSATA drive bay
for offline backups. Formerly, I used mount/umount, and when I umounted
it, and walked downstairs, mostly, esp the green drives, were spun down. I
pumount... and*nothing*  spins down.

I think you're seeing a simple correlation of events that are indeterminate. Un-mounting a filesystem doesn't cause the drive to spin down (though "eject" should, IIRC). WD Green drives have a short spin-down period, and are more likely to spin down while not being accessed.

pmount is just a SUID wrapper around mount. That is, it calls mount and umount. Whatever is keeping your drives from spinning down is almost certainly unrelated to using pmount.

I'd suggest that you make the users who need to handle these disks members of the "disk" group. With that membership, they should be able to run "eject" to safely remove the drives and cause them to spin down.