Re: How to get UEFI setting by shell?

On 1/22/2016 1:23 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 01/22/2016 11:11 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
if you can insert a custom Machine Owner Key into this keyring, then anyone with sufficient ingenuity can, too. which renders the whole signature thing moot, other than as another step to be cracked.

I'm not sure you understand mokutil. You do know that in order to enroll a key you must be physically present at the console before the kernel boots, right? In order to enroll a key, you must have admin access in the OS, and physical access to the hardware.

in order to install a kernel module without signing, you still need root level access to the OS, so thats nothing new.

Most all servers I run have remote KVM via IPMI, or are VM's, so this can be done without physical presence, unless somehow mokutil disables KVM (keyboard/video/mouse, not kernel virtualization) AND refuses to run in a VM. Sure, if someone has penetrated my IPMI and/or virtualization management, I'm already in a world of hurt, but no physical presence is required.