Re: boot thumbdrive with CentOS 7 ISO???

On 12/15/2015 10:15 AM, ken wrote:

It's good to that. I've just tried that seven times (three different flashdrives 'dd' using different USB ports, then created one CD) and the media test failed each time. I wish those downloads listed cksums/md5sums.

As far as I can tell, they do:
http://mirror.confluxtech.com/centos/7/isos/x86_64/

Various sums for the ISOs, and signatures for the sum file.

It's good to have all this info  together in one  email.

On the other hand, people should know the Minimal really sucks:

* No dual-boot set up.

CentOS is a rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, whose target use case is business servers and workstations. Dual-boot is not a typical or supported use case for RHEL.

Dual-boot can be set up manually by editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom:

   menuentry "Windows" {
       set root='(hd0,1)'
       chainloader +1
}

Adjust (hd0,1) to match the partition number where Windows is installed.

Run "grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2-efi.cfg"

* The resultant OS was text only. I.e., it wouldn't run init 5... trying to do so would cause to hang.

I don't recall who recommended that you use the Minimal ISO, but it was bad advice. Minimal is useful to experienced admins who want to build a very small system image with only the specific packages they need. It can be used to build a desktop system, but that's a lot of work (or knowledge).

You would have been better off with CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1511.iso or CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGNOME-1511.iso (or KDE). I apologize on everyone's behalf for not contradicting that advice.

* Maybe the above problem was due to bad coding somewhere-- the entire OS horked a couple times... then I finally saw error code saying, "kernel panic". I haven't gotten one of those in decades.

There's not much to go on there. We have no idea what caused the panic, whether it was a bug or not.

Geez, what a terrible ISO distro!

I don't think that's a fair assessment. CentOS (and RHEL) is one of the most stable systems I've ever used.