Re: Installing mSATA Solid State Drive in Dell Precision M3800

On 11/2/2015 7:49 PM, ken wrote:
I'm considering getting a Dell Precision M3800 Mobile Workstation, would want to install my own mSATA SSD in it. Does anyone here have one of these machines? If so, is an SSD a user-installable component? And if so again, how much needs to be taken apart?

I'm guessing that uses full 2.5" SATA drives, not mSATA cards..... ah, here's the service manual
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-m3800-workstation_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Looks like it has both mSATA and 2.5" SATA bays. to install a mSATA card, you remove the base cover (the bottom), remove a cable, and remove a screw holding the mSATA in place, then reverse all that to reassemble.

me, I'd just replace the hard disk with a 500G-1T SSD and shine the whole mSATA thing..