Re: groupadd failure

On 09/03/2015 01:07 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
Am 03.09.2015 um 10:33 schrieb isdtor <isdtor@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 02/09/2015, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry, I didn't read what you said carefully enough -- it's trying to
create a system group. Still, looking inside of /etc/group to see what
system groups already exist is probably a good idea.

This is not exactly trivial to figure when there's no documentation
what the system group limits actually are. There's a very indirect
mention in the same man page, "Values between 0 and 999 are typically
reserved for system accounts.", but I bet that's just the usual case
of generic documentation not tailored to the distribution.

The highest id in the group file is 499. Combined with the error, this
could be consistent with a SYS_GID_MAX of 499. But no ids between 189
and 485 have been assigned at all. Is groupadd really this limited?

look at -g in the manpage: "the default is to use [...] and greater than every other group." So I guess if SYS_GID_MAX==499 and you already have a group 499, you may need to use -g. Create the group with -g, then try to install your rpm (I think that's what you were doing?) and hopefully it will see that a group with the correct name already exists and proceed normally.