Re: Compile for C6 / glibc

On 08/25/2015 07:11 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
Am 25.08.2015 um 16:31 schrieb Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@xxxxxx>:
25.8.2015 4.03 ip. "Leon Fauster" <leonfauster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> kirjoitti:

In the hope that some skilled developers are here:

We have a commercial product that do not run under CentOS6

/lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found

Is it possible to compile software (compile switch?) on a system that
uses a newer glibc but in such a way that can be used (executed) on
a system with an older glibc (like here: compiled on glibc 2.14
based system but C6 is on 2.12)?

How about virtualization and running on supported platform?

The support of this vendor (2) is willing to provide
such OS support for there products.

The same was also offered by a different vendor (1), they just recompiled
there software and gave us the opportunity to test it under C6. Before that
it only was running under Ubuntu. I just was curious about such solution
to give the second vendor a hint (the symptoms are the same).

So the easiest solution would be that the vendor (2) build the software on a C6 system. Most likely it will compile fine, and the produced binary will run on C6 as well as more recent distributions.