Re: [security] Thunderbird vulnerable to MITM

On 08/23/2015 10:17 AM, Always Learning wrote:

Yes some people's version of politics is annoying. Politics ought to be
about creating pragmatic solutions for the public good rather than
enforcing brain-dead dogma.

MariaDB is a so-called "drop-in" replacement for MySQL although I
understand version 10 is not compatible.

Could LibreSSL create a "drop-in" replacement version for OpenSSL ?

No, they remain API compatible with OpenSSL 1.0.1 but they are not ABI compatible, and they do not wish to be.

Anything built against OpenSSL has to be recompiled to use LibreSSL.

Both libraries though can exist on the system at the same time, installed in the standard /usr prefix - so you can have both installed.

/usr/bin/openssl is the only conflict - resolved by renaming the binary from LibreSSL to /usr/bin/libressl on systems with both.

I don't worry that much about OpenSSL being there, it is just the public facing servers I want to use LibreSSL.