Re: persistent change of max_stack_depth

On 08/14/2015 07:19 AM, Michael H wrote:
I have currently set it by running 'ulimit -s 10240' but this does not survive a reboot.

It's already been pointed out that you'll need to modify the init script, but just to make clear why that is the case, I thought it should be pointed out that "ulimit" is a bash built-in command. When you run "ulimit -s 10240" you're not modifying the system, as a whole. You're only modifying that shell's environment and any child process that you start from that shell. Not only does the command not survive a reboot, it doesn't persist between logins.

And that's one of the better features of systemd. Because services are always started by systemd, they don't inherit environment, or process limits, or SELinux context from a login shell. If they start correctly interactively, via systemctl, they'll start correctly the next time the system boots. Under the old init system, that wasn't true.