Re: Fedora change that will probably affect RHEL

On 07/25/2015 11:45 AM, Jake Shipton wrote:
I think a better solution to suite both worlds would be to simply have a
boot flag on the installation media such as maybe
"passwordcheck=true/false"

https://xkcd.com/1172/

It's practically a law that every time someone's workflow is broken, they request an option to change it. Personally, I'm against it. Putting a weak password into the installer *is* a request for a weak password. There's no reason to request a weak password twice (with a boot arg and a weak password) when the alternative is to graphically represent the password strength and let the user decide.

I don't like the change, but at the same time I do all of my installs with kickstart, and such installs are not affected. Kickstart files can contain a hashed password, and since a hashed password can't be checked, it can't be rejected. Thus, any decision FESCO makes won't affect me at all.