Re: Bonds & Bridge best practices

On 07/08/2015 11:36 PM, Jatin Davey wrote:
Now i create a bridge interface namely br20 (20 being the VLAN) and
assign it a IP Address , subnet mask and the default gateway. I will use
this IP to reach the server. So it is like a management bridge for me.
Secondly this bridge is associated with the bond0.20

Can i create another bridge namely cr20 ( 20 being the VLAN ) on the
bond1 interface ? This bridge does not have any ip address associated
with it. I just want to use it for guest VMs.

Is this the correct way to configure ?

From what you've written, that will work.  A couple of notes, however:

* I don't see any reason for the existence of br20.  If all of your
  VMs are going to be attached to cr20 (on bond1.20), you could simply
  assign the host OS IP to bond0.20.

* If you're not already aware, not all bonding modes work well with VMs.
  Modes 1, 2 and 4 definitely work (although mode 1 can theoretically
  lose some of the packets destined for VMs in the event of a failover).

HTH