Re: IPMI/BMC/BIOS

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015, Chris Olson wrote:

We have recently been asked to evaluate some computing machinery for a new project. This particular end user has very limited experience with the stated security requirements in a lights-out environment. Their primary work (as well as mine) in the past has been with very small, simple networks of desktop machines and a few servers with extremely limited access. For the most part, their admins haverefused to use any maintenance connectivity to servers other than the primary serial ports.

There is a concern about system security primarily driven by recent information searches performed by end user admins and included below. [...snip...]

My initial recommendation was to use a totally separate network for any service processors within the servers that implement IPMI/BMC capabilities. This has been standard practice in most systems I have worked on in the past, and has allowed certification with essentially no problems. The BIOS concern seems to be another issue to be addressed separately.

+1 to network separation for OOB management. I assume you mean "non-routable LAN," but that segment's connectivity is an interesting question in itself. I like having access to management consoles via VPN, but others dislike any off-LAN access whatsoever.

If your admins are comfortable with serial consoles, a concentrator like those available from Digi or WTI can offer fairly robust access controls; they can also be set to honor SSH keys rather than passwords, which may help increase security.

WTI:  https://www.wti.com/c-4-console-server.aspx
Digi: http://www.digi.com/products/consoleservers/

I've had an easier time working with the Digi firmware, but either will do the job.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> http://www.madboa.com/