Re: LVM hatred, was Re: /boot on a separate partition?

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, John R Pierce wrote:

While it has the same concepts, physical volumes, volume groups, logical
volumes, the LVM in AIX shares only the initials with Linux.  I've heard
that Linux's LVM was based on HP-UX's design.

Sure, and IRIX had a similar concept, although my experiences with that were
slightly less good than with LVM on linux.

in AIX, the LVM is tightly integrated with file system management, so you issue the command to grow a file system, and it automatically grows the underlying logical volume. the OS itself can automatically grow file systems when its installing software. Also, in AIX, the volume manager is the raid manager, you say 'copies = 2' as an attribute of a LV, and data is mirrored.

Without knowing the details, this is possibly just semantics.  With lvresize,
you can resize the LV and the filesystem in one go.  With lvcreate --type
raid1 you can specify that a given LV is RAID1 mirrored.

jh