How to preserve the login session's running apps without hibernation

When I was running mate on another computer, I would log off
or shutdown, and power up and login again and mate
would restore all the gui apps in all the workspaces.

Gnome does not do that.

Also, I do not have a way to upgrade to Centos 7 because
1. graphic installation fails (as I have posted here before).
2. I do not want to do text install because it will clobber my existing
   partitioning scheme and does not provide for modifying the automatic
   partitioning scheme.