Re: Effectiveness of CentOS vm.swappiness

Am 05.06.2015 um 18:33 schrieb Gordon Messmer:
On 06/05/2015 03:29 AM, Markus "Shorty" Uckelmann wrote:
some (probably unused) parts are swapped out. But, some of
those parts are the salt-minion, php-fpm or mysqld. All services which
are important for us and which suffer badly from being swapped out.

Those two things can't really both be true.  If the pages swapped out
are unused, then the application won't suffer as a result.

Why not? If you have an application which sees action only every 12 to 24 hours,I think this can happen. Our salt-minion would be a candidate for this. Allthough we constantly check if it's alive, we only do once or twice a day something "heavy" like a deployment. And very often we have to run thos deployments twice, because the first time we get a lot of timeouts. Sure, it might be the software itself. But I think it could be possible that it is because of swapped out pages.

I can't be sure about this. That's why I want to find out what and why things are happening. But first I need to find the right tools to do this ;)

Cheers, Shorty