Re: Using Mariadb databases from old server

On 05/29/2015 07:00 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Todor Petkov wrote:

I'm running CentOS-7, but I left some MySQL databases
on my old CentOS-6.5 partition which I'd like to retrieve.
I assume they are contained in the file /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 ?

Could I just copy this file to /var/lib/mysql in CentOS-7?
Or is there some way Mariadb or phpMyAdmin can import mysql databases
from a server that is no longer running?

The C6 partition is part of the new server, so you are able to mount it
and copy files from it, is this correct? Have you done something with
the MariaDB or it's still clean installation?

I did add something to Mariadb on the new CentOS-7 system,
but I don't mind deleting it and starting again.
I can mount the partition with the old mysql files on it.
Could I just copy the contents of /mnt/var/lib/mysql
to the new system?
There are files with the same name, eg ibdata1, on both systems.
Could I have an ibdata2 ?

This is what I ran into trying to clone a web server on C7 (doing this
from memory):
There is something in the database file /var/lib/mysql that has to match
something elsewhere on the machine. Apparently the match is created during the mariadb-server.rpm installation. I found two ways to transfer
a /var/lib/mysql file successfully.
1. Transfer the file before installing mariadb-server.rpm
or
2. After copying the file over the existing one,
yum reinstall mariadb-server

Hope this helps,
Ted Miller, Indiana, USA