Re: CentOS 7 on Dell Inspiron with ATI Radeon HD 6320 video card

On 03/15/2015 05:15 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently installing CentOS 7 on a client's Dell Inspiron laptop.
Here's the video card:

# lspci | grep -i vga
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]

Most of the time, I either have to deal with Intel or NVidia graphic
chipsets. As far as I understand, I can choose either the free 'radeon'
driver or the proprietary 'fglrx' driver with this video card.

I'm not too worried about performance, since this will essentially be a
laptop for office productivity. On the other hand, I do worry about
driver stability. I vaguely remember having seen freeze problems with
these cards.

Which driver should I use for a most stable setup?

Cheers,

Niki

It sort of depends on your usage. For normal desktop usage, the provided Radeon driver seems adequate and stable. If you have any need for "reasonable" 3D performance, fglrx is a better proposition.

Like you I've mostly dealt with nVidia or Intel video. I had some painful initial issues with the fglrx driver, but once I became more accustomed to the quirks it was quite stable. The wiki at elrepo was helpful. This was on desktop systems, I know the "portable" chipsets used in the laptops are a bit different.

--
Jay Leafey - jay.leafey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Memphis, TN