Re: Remote Desktop Recommendations

David,

You didn’t indicate whether you are trying to do this on a LAN or across the public Internet? Classic VNC is not a secure protocol, but there are variations of it that are secure.

If you just want to run GUI programs rather than fully “screen share,” then you can use an X Windows client or xpra.

I have done all this using OS X so honestly I am not familiar with the Windows clients to recommend. I have used Cygwin, but only to run command line programs such as ssh, rsync, etc.  Others will have to make suggestions based on actual experience.

Mark

MARK H RICHER, MS CS
NPS-NCR Digital Forensics Lab IT Manager
Computer Science Department
Naval Postgraduate School - National Capital Region (NCR)
900 N Glebe Rd, Rm 5-182, Arlington, VA 22203
571.858.3254 (o) 571.303.9498 (m) mhricher@xxxxxxx<mailto:mhricher@xxxxxxx>