Re: Wow! Double wow!

On 10/29/2014 11:43 AM, Beartooth wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:22:35 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

On Wed, October 29, 2014 9:06 am, Steve Clark wrote:
+100

Me too. I was [mistakenly, apparently] always considering 5.[n+1],
6.[m+1] just re-spins, thus providing latest packages with _backported_
security
patches/bugfixes, aimed at providing installation media that is not
entail millions of updates. "Releases" with newer versions, drivers
included in kernel shuffled, the new kernel (without any necessity in
it) which causes hassle to reboot the box... This all effectively
defeats the "Enterprise" portion of the name of the system, doesn't it?

Do not take it as me not being appreciative of the great job the
distribution maintainers do. I'm just trying to give a view of us,
"users" who have to deal with the consequences...
	Looking back over the list of packages installed, I notice that
most end in "el6," but there are some with "el6_6." Does that mean she's
now actually running 6.6 rather than 6.5?

She is running CentOS 6 with all current updates. This currently equates to 6.6.

RHEL, and therefore CentOS, does not support maintaining a specific point release version. Updating any CentOS 6 system will now result in an update to 6.6. It is possible to prevent the 6.6 updates from being installed, but this will leave you with no further updates (security or otherwise).

	I've been wondering when it would be best to switch to CentOS 7.
Is there something like fedup in Fedora to do it, or is a fresh install
the only way?

There is a method to upgrade (there was a recent thread about it in this group), but the recommended method is to install from scratch.

--
Bowie