Re: "No free sectors available" while try to extend logical volumen in a virtual machine running CentOS 6.5

On 10/27/2014 07:42 PM, reynierpm@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi SilverTip nice answer and very helpful, I'll try to get some more help
here since as I said in the main post I'm not an expert on Linux or a
Administrator I'm just a developer trying to setup a development enviroment
so ...

It's telling you the truth.
Sounds like you want another Logical Volume (LV) not partition.

You're right, what I need is a new LV but how I do that?

Sounds like you destroyed one or more of your LVs through all this.

Probable and I'm pretty sure I do it :-(

Please read the following documentation before forging further ahead.
And you might spin up a VM or live CD to experiment with LVM operations
before going any further as well.
- speaks about extents [0]
- read the entire Chapter 2 on LVM [1] as it applies to your scenario (ex:
snapshots probably don't)
  - dated/older, but it may prove helpful [2]

[0]

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/lv_overview.html
[1]

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/LVM_components.html
[2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/LVM-HOWTO/

Fine, I read it but know doubts persist on my mind. First, I'm running OS
in a Vmware Workstation VM and I'll not like to loose every I have there
since then I'll need to reconfigure all from scratch but if there is not
another option to save my mess the we should go through it.

If I were in your position, I think I would:
* Create a new, 80GB disk using VMWare
* Partition that disk into your /boot and LVM partitions
* pvcreate
* vgcreate
* lvcreate the disk structure you want in your new disk, making sure all LVs are at least a little bigger than the old ones.
* use dd to copy disks from old drives to corresponding old drives
* use resize2fs to expand your file system to the full size of each of the LVs you created.
* detach old virtual disk from your VM
* reboot, and see if you succeeded

If I forgot something here, hopefully someone else will chime in. The idea is to dump your corrupted LVM structure without loosing its content.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA