Re: C7 : Firewalld

On 25-10-2014 09:40, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Vijay Rajah wrote:

You can still use iptables with Centos7, if you want... (AFAIK both
firewalld & iptables use the same kernel functions)

Yes.. both are just frontends for iptables with profile presets, no more than that.

As a matter of interest, how does firewalld compare with shorewall?
They look rather similar.

Pretty much same idea, but firewalld should be more evolved in terms of user friendly. It even has a GUI if you want.

firewalld also has other abilities, like allowing changing just the runtime configuration, or just the persistent one..

Yet, if you are an advanced shorewall/iptables user, you may struggle to do the same on firewalld without resorting to its --direct commands.

I am running CentOS-7 on a home server, with shorewall.
I was not aware until I read this thread that firewalld was installed,
but I find now that it is running.
I'm rather surprised there have been no conflicts with shorewall.
Maybe one over-rules the other?

(I notice it is installed but not running on my Fedora-20 laptop.)

Probably your shorewall is just starting later than firewalld and is overwritting firewalld rules

Marcelo