Re: CentOS 6.4 kernel panic on boot after upgrading kernel to 2.6.32-431.29.2

On 15/10/14, 1:58, Greg Lindahl wrote:
On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 06:56:23AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

The advise to do a full upgrade is the best (most secure) option ..
however, theoretically, the new kernel should boot and not cause issues
based on the other packages.

OP said he had an InfiniBand card. For a long time it was the case
that every kernel point release needed the corresponding IB userspace
libraries.

It's also worth noting that running with an unusual set of packages
means you're running something that is not well-tested. Most
enterprise users like to run with the herd, in the middle of the herd.
Mooo. That basically means "yum -y update", nothing different.
"Yum let me do it" and "this is wise" are two different things!

I can confirm that a full upgrade to 6.5 fixed the boot problem. I do think it's maybe a bit too easy to make this mistake, though.

--
Joakim Ziegler  -  Supervisor de postproducción  -  Terminal
joakim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   -   044 55 2971 8514   -   5264 0864