Re: pxebooting

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Tom Bishop wrote:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM,  <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The gPXE bootloader can fetch files from an arbitrary network host
using TFTP, NFS, HTTP, etc, but the standard syslinux PXE bootloader
cannot.

On CentOS 6, the syslinux-nonlinux package includes both. If you
specify "filename gpxelinux.0" in your DHCP setup, and ensure that the
gpxelinux.0 image is in your tftp root directory, you should be OK.

Are you saying that I only need to change the dhcpd configuration, from
    allow booting;
        allow bootp;
        filename "pxelinux.0";
   <...>
    allow booting;
        allow bootp;
        filename "gpxelinux.0";

and have my menus called by pxelinux.cfg/default point to the
http://myurl/images?

Not speaking for Paul who may chime in hear but I believe you are correct. I just set one of these up last week and I think what you have is close. Given that you have copied gpxelinux to the appropriate location, you have more options available to be able to do stuff like this:

LABEL ESXi 5.0 KickStart and HTTP
KERNEL http://10.0.2.14:8080/vSphere/ESXi_5.0/MBOOT.C32
APPEND -c http://10.0.2.14:8080/vSphere/ESXi_5.0/BOOT.CFG
ks=http://10.0.2.14:8080/vSphere/ESXi_5.0/ks.cfg +++
IPAPPEND 1

I think Tim knows his way around the syslinux utilities better than I do, but, yes, changing the "filename" argument to "gpxelinux.0" (assuming it's in your tftp root directory) is all it takes to get remote-network support into the pre-execution stack.

I don't know if it has a dns resolver, so using IP addresses like in Tim's examples is probably the safe route to take.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx