Re: ZFS

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

On Mon, September 15, 2014 4:49 pm, Andrew Holway wrote:
The SSD and second CPU core are not free.

Where I come from, the streets are paved with SLC

Is it Salt Lake City that you are from? (that is so reach with Second Level Cache... That is what you actually meant I figure)

Am I the only one who is tempted to say: people, could you kindly start deciphering your abbreviations. I know, I know, computed science uses _that_ abbreviation for years. But we definitely have people without computer science degree (not me, I do have one ;-) on the list who will be happier to learn terms and abbreviations if it is mentioned what stands for what.

In defense of the OP ("original poster"), he mentioned "SLC" in

 1. a throw-away line meant as a joke,

 2. the clear context of SSD ("solid-state drive(s)"), where the
    distinction between MLC ("multi-level cell") and SLC
    ("single-level cell") technology has been widely discussed.

In this case, I'd give more weight to point number 1: I'd estimate that 493 out of 500 readers of this list would have immediately grasped he was making a joke. Even if they didn't get the SLC reference, they understood that jokes can be safely ignored without missing any important bits of the discussion.

In the case of point #2, I'd say that abuse is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Who is the arbiter of when an acronym is obvious or obscure? I mean that as a serious question. Who gets to say that USB is an acceptable acronym while SLC is not? If you know, how does one become that person?

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx