Re: Canon PIXMA mg5420 or HP Photo Smart 7520

On 09/09/2014 11:06 AM, ken wrote:
In need of a new printer, having done a bit or research, and considering either the Canon PIXMA mg5420 or the HP Photo Smart 7520.

There are Linux drivers for the Photosmart which are supposed to handle both the printer and the scanner. But in my research I haven't found (yet) anyone who's gotten the scanner to work with Linux on the Photosmart, let alone the sheet feeder for it. Allegedly there are instructions and requirements for using the fax on Linux. But I'd like to hear from someone who has actually gotten all of this working on Linux (either debian or centos) and which version of which distro is needed.

The Canon PIXMA mg5420 doesn't have a fax or a sheet feeder for its scanner, but I'm guessing it's even dodgier to get just its single-sheet flatbed scanner and its printer working with Linux. So has anyone had success with that?

I've also read horror stories about the how often new ink cartridges are required, that basically you pay for the printer a second and third time buying cartridges (not to mention how often a print job is interrupted by a trip to buy new cartridges). Any first-hand reports on that?

Whoever thought spending money would be so tough?

Yeah
No experience with the specific models you mention, however I have used both HP and Cannon inkjet/scanner/fax type machines. Yes, inkjets are cheap to buy, and you mortgage the house and your firstborn to keep buying the cartridges to keep them going. I also use laser machines, and find these considerably cheaper per page (I'm talking color - as I used to run a business where we printed dozens of full color pages per day) and over 10,000 full color per year + 35,000 b/w.
Observations:
HP does give support for Linux drivers, although it normally takes some digging - CentOS is normally reasonably up to date with the hplip and hpijs packages, at least in CentOS6 - had no problem doing multipage scans with a PSC2200. Cannon has been a little tougher, but I am using a PIXMZ mp820 fine at present - need to load a specific package to get the scanner working : scangearmp - it is barely adequate - doesn't do multiple pages into one file and produces huge hi-resolution files - great quality but hopeless if you need to scan something and email.
Brother actually seem to do a bit better in support of Linux.
I also use OKI C51xx and C52xx laser machines - cheap to buy second hand and I've put probably 100,000+ pages through a couple of these machines - my cost per page, full color including initial capital cost of the machines was US$0.07. It does work out cheaper to buy a new machine once the belt needs replacing.
HTH - YMMV
Thanks for your knowledge and experience.