Re: wireless inteface configure as bridge

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:32:05 UTC, SilverTip257 <silvertip257@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Am 28.07.2014 um 04:49 schrieb Benjamin Fernandis:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I m using centos 7 in laptop and kvm as virtualization to run windows
> > guest
> > > vm.Currently i m using NAT as default setting for guest vm, my internet
> > is
> > > fine but can't resolve some domains and sites.
> > >
> > > So want to come on bridge.
> > >
> > > As per my understanding bridge can not work while device is managed by
> > > NetworkManager.
> >
> > How did you come to this conclusion? Based on which reading?
> >

> > https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/
> >
> > > Is there any utility or tool to use to scan wireless device in network
> > and
> > > connect them as i want to stop to use Networkmanager to use laptop
> > wireless
> > > interface as bridge for my guest vm.
> >
> > You cannot do what you want
> >

> > https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/ch-Configure_Network_Bridging.html
> >
> > "Note that a bridge cannot be established over Wi-Fi networks operating
> > in Ad-Hoc or Infrastructure modes. This is due to the IEEE 802.11
> > standard that specifies the use of 3-address frames in Wi-Fi for the
> > efficient use of airtime."
> >

> +1
> Alexander is correct.
> It is not possible to bridge a wireless network to a wired network and have
> it function properly.

Actually, it is not totally impossible :-)
I'm writing this post in my OS/2 guest, running bridged to hosts WiFi adapter
in Virtual Box..
Host is right now Fedora 20, but can be Win7 also.
Maybe Virtual Box has some tricks to do this - I don't know; but if for sure
works fine on this laptop.

--
  Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.