Re: mail tools preferences?

On 01/19/2014 02:00 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 05:10:34PM +1300, Rob Kampen wrote:
On 01/18/2014 11:29 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM,  <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We don't have enough arguments here.... <g>

I see that thunderbird's deprecated for RHEL 7, and they recommend
evolution. I've certainly had some annoyances in the last couple-three
years with t-bird.

Gmail's web interface is very low-maintenance...
Have to take exception to this comment - the interface changes at
the whim of google and I have to relearn - recently the changes have
come with increasing frequency and major impact on how they operate
- a quick search shows many folk are unhappy with the direction they
are headed.
Not to mention the privacy concerns--I remember when I first got a smart
phone, used my main gmail account for it, and suddenly saw that I had
contacts for anyone that I'd ever sent mail to in my contacts list.
I now have an Android phone after an iPhone.
I have always struggled with the Apple lock-in infrastructure - works real well if you're using Apple's OS on the PC. However, I found it worked well for my emails and contact list and calendar - I found tools that worked with my CentOS server and allowed me to mirror my contact list and appointments from the iPhone to/from my CentOS workstation and Thunderbird - truly useful and almost totally seamless.

Along comes my big new Android phone - not too many problems converting - imported all my contacts just fine, but somewhere along the way, not sure when or how, maybe a result of the continual application updates, my contact list no longer feels like mine.

When I add new contacts or try to edit old ones - I only have google contacts available - the "people" app and the funambol app have just faded into the background.

I now have no idea how I can access "all" my contacts and export them should I want to shift. Also, my integration with Thunderbird is gone - the app I used is no longer supported for later versions of Thunderbird.

Question for the list:
What level of integration do you have for your contact list?
I need something that makes my workstation and laptop (both CentOS 6.5) using Thunderbird and IMAP mail servers (mostly CentOS postfix/dovecot + some gmail) and android phone share all contact info ......

Let's not get started on calendars.

Then, the way they will suddenly tie it into something else they're
pushing, such as google +, and suddenly, you have to choose to opt out of
something else.

I also dislike it for mailing lists (hence I use my ISP account here),
because they decided that it was a feature to avoid cluttering your mailbox
to not show you a message you'd sent to the list.  You can find it in your
sent directory, but it wont' appear in your inbox. (Unless that's
changed--I remember checking again about a year ago, and it was still that
way.)

Gmail is useful for many things--their spam filtering is excellent, for
example, but I wouldn't want it to be my only email.  Even for the things I
use it for, I use it as a pop server, download my mail, filter with
mailfilter and view with mutt.