Re: To discard... or not to discard...

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Akemi Yagi wrote:

In addition to the RH doc referenced by LF, I found this web page useful:

http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-properly-activate-trim-for-your-ssd-on-linux-fstrim-lvm-and-dmcrypt/

Quote: [....]

Instead, what I recommend is to run a script periodically to tell the SSD which blocks are free with the command fstrim. Doing this operation daily or weekly is more than enough. This way we do not lose any performance due to TRIM when deleting files and we periodically keep informed the SSD about the free blocks."

I was pondering dropping in a cron job that invokes fstrim on servers with SSDs, esp. now that 6.5 supports TRIM on MD RAID-1 devices. It appears that making it a weekly job will do the trick.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx