Re: Kernel 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6 boot fail

On 07/29/2013 03:05 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Mike McCarthy <sysop@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Aha! non-CentOS drivers? Are these from the OEM? Theyprobably need to be
rebuilt to the new kernel.
Have you tried booting into "safe" mode or with video drivers disabled?
Just how you do that with CentOS I don't know but there should be
instructions somewhere on the WEB.
Mike, thanks for your reply.

These are the latest NVidia drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.32.run).
I'm not quite sure it is the problem, however, after running some more
tests.

I tried rebuilding the NVidia drivers for the latest installed kernel
using the '-k KERNEL_NAME' option to the installer script. These built
successfully while the older kernel was running.  On reboot into the
new kernel, I got the same error (hard freeze, unable to reboot the
system without a BIOS flash). I then uninstalled the NVidia
proprietary drivers completely (--uninstall from the script).  I
received (expected) X related errors and dropped into a shell on the
old kernel. Trying on the new kernel resulted in the same freeze.
I.e.:

On grub menu, I choose the newest kernel
(kernel-2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64).In the top left I see
the underline cursor blink for a few seconds and then stop. There's no
other output. The HD and Power light on the system unit is solid at
this point.

If I try to reboot now I see the system fans spin up at low speed.
About four seconds later the fans momentarily switch to high speed
then the system powers down. Even if I unplug everything, drain the
PSU, the system won't power back up until I reset the BIOS via jumper
blocks.

The hardware itself seems fine. I am actually typing this now on the
system in question, but in the previous kernel.

  I just ran a quick package list by Vendor (queryformat %{vendor} )
and found some Dag Apt packages. I'll uninstall these and retest.

Also checked my BIOS which is:

         Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
         Version: 1302
         Release Date: 11/15/2012

If there's an update available I'll flash it.

This one has me stumped :)
You haven't got an errored copy of the kernel by any chance?? I'd wipe it and re-install.