Re: Strange Postfix problem

On 04/10/2013 12:25 PM, SilverTip257 wrote:
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On 04/10/2013 03:58 AM, tdukes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello,

Was trying to setup postfix on my home PC. Running Centos 6.4. I don't
have a static IP and use zoneedit and ddclient to keep my installation
of zoneminder current.

So I decided I wanted to get zoneminder to send me email alerts. Sent
some test messages but none were sent.

I went to webdnstools website thinking maybe there is a dns or network
problem.

When it checks my dns setup, everything is fine except the mail server
is has the wrong IP address. The A record and the www A record have the
correct IP. The IP address its reporting is one that belongs to my ISP.

sounds like your ISP only allows certain services through and intercepts
the rest as you do not have a fixed IP.

Consider setting up Postfix to auth (with your ISP email credentials) and
send mail through your ISP's mail server.  I've seen write-ups for using
Gmail in the same way.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/postfix-smtp-authentication-for-mail-servers/
This effectively shields your email server from the internet - all mail will appear to come from the ISP's mail IP and thus your dynamic IP will not matter. reception of mail will be by whomever the MX record points to - a fixed IP. you will probably need to use a mail client to retrieve mail from the ISP provided IMAP server.

may want to talk to them as they control the DNS and reverse DNS, both of

Not a bad idea, but if he's in a dynamic pool the ISP is unlikely to help
him out.
Does he really need a static?

which should be correct for email servers to function correctly.
Basically, to do an email server you need a fixed IP.

Do you need to receive mail or just send it?
See the URL above if you just need to send.

TIA