Alias for sending email messages from root

I have run into what can only be described as a farce but one that is
outside my control and which I need fixed.

I am informed that my cell phone service provider, Bell Canada, will
not allow any email messages from a user id 'root' to pass through
their email to sms text gateway.  Now, I send alerts out from cron and
other system monitoring software and these all go out as
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Is there any way to configure the outgoing address to be something
else?  Or do I have to rename the root user to get around this
nonsensical, and utterly useless, restriction imposed by my provider?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada  L8E 3C3