Re: self-encrypting drives

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, John R Pierce wrote:

whats the state of support for self-encrypting drives in CentOS 6 ?
these are becoming increasingly common on both laptops and for
enterprise storage (particularlly nearline), with features like
instant-erase via key destruction.

Management of Full Disk Encryption (FDE) drives is usually handled in BIOS or via central Windows application.

I've never installed FDE drives in servers, but they work well in laptops running Linux. We use BIOS-level passphrases (centrally escrowed, just in case), but we're a small shop. Performance seems within the realm of acceptable.

The encryption is always-on. That is, data is always encrypted when written to disk. Whether that data is readily readable depends on whether the drive's encryption key has been encrypted. Once the key is encrypted, a passphase must be presented to unlock it.

Once the key has been encrypted, the drive cannot be accessed unless connected directly to, say, the system's SATA bus. I haven't seen any mechanisms by which the key can be unlocked via things like external USB adapters.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx