Re: Question about storage for virtualisation

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012, Nate Duehr wrote:

On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:

I don't believe there's any more or less need to do so.  I would
strongly recommend that you not segregate / and /usr.  Fedora and future
versions of RHEL/CentOS will expect a unified / and /usr.

I may be behind, but this is the first I've heard of this...

Any good references as to WHY?! they want to break this decades old convention?

Solaris broke it years ago.

It'll certainly help builds and packaging, since no one needs to specify where, e.g., ls or rm is located.

And granted that my experience is far from universal, I haven't seen a production Linux box that remote-mounts /usr in a decade.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx